Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mac OSX on my BenQ S41

Inspired by some of the forumers success on installing OSX into his BenQ-S41, being the same model, I'm also into trying this. These are the links that I've followed. Throughout this process, Ive got another PC with all the guides I got below and an active Internet connection in case of something goes wrong.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2/Portables#BenQ
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_Guides/Kalyway_DualBoot_10.5.2
http://coolblog.profit42.com/2007/07/03/updated-osx-10410-dual-boot-guide/
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036&st=500
http://www.andrewchapman.net/home-mainmenu-71/1-latest/73-hackintosh.html

Please be aware that I'm just a student who are trying to test the system. After the success of this, I'm also be sure to delete all traces of mac and will destroy my burned disk as well. Please don't ask me where i got the disk and where i downloaded it from. Its not ethical and I only done this to test it. after all, I am going to buy a mac in few years time. And also, i'm not in the mood of making any screenshots. Please don't ask. Read the guides instead.

This is the specification of my BenQ Joybook S41-409
- Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.8GHz Dual Core, 800MHz, FSB 2MB L2)
- 2 GB DDR2 667MHz
- 120GB SATA HDD
- 14.1" 1280x800 nVidia 8600GS 256MB GDDR3
- Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
- Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

In Vista, my score is 4.3
- proc: 4.9
- ram: 4.9
- graphics: 5.9
- gaming: 5.5
- HDD: 4.3

1. Formatting.
At fist, I've resized my jampacked HDD. After few DVD backup of my data, ( 9 pieces ) I've loaded my S41 with an Acronis Boot Disk. This is to resize my HDD partition and make some room for OSX installation. Notice that I do this without ever need to destroy any of my existing data.

the structure of my HDD: 3 partitions.
c: [45GB-NTFS] vista partition
d: [15GB-FAT32] mac partition --set it to active partition.
e: [56.78GB-NTFS] Data partition. i kept all my data into this partition in case my vista does become corrupt, which is not possible unless i do something really stupid.

2. Burning and making boot disk.
I think this should be the first step. But heck, I'm using the "Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso" and after all the sweat and tears of downloading 3.67GB I've burned it using Alcohol 120%. You can use any burning software instead.

Next, using Acronis Disk Director, I've made a Boot disk using a CD. This is to make the step no 1 above a success. Again don't ask me how I do the first step. Do your google search.

3. Booting up and selecting.
I've changed my boot sequence to DVD and after inserting the Mac disk, I've been welcomed with a beautiful wallpaper. Before that, I've make sure to boot with F8 and -v command.

By selecting English as my language, I've open up the disk utilities. I've prepared the Mac partition to use the 'Mac OS Extended Journaled' as my partition. Exit and I'm done with the disk utilities.




Now time for some customisation of the installation. The + is what I've added, and the - is what I've removed. Note that I do this on my own risk.


-Additional Fonts
-Language Translations
+Kernel_vanilla_92 (i've also unchecked the default)
+NVinject-256


After that click ok and the disk check will make sure that the disk is ok and consistent. After that the installer begins installation. Time left: 24 minutes. Pretty good. Vista takes a whole lot more time.



4. Repairing and booting.

After the installation is completed, I've restarted my Laptop. Something is not right, it won't boot up. The error saids HFS+ Error.
I've re-inserted my Acronis Disk. this is to make my vista active again. This step is to do a dual-booting and with hoping that it will cure this, I make my vista partition active again. Then, off I go rebooting. It works. Inside vista, I've copied chain0. and then with few command in cmd.

bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Mac OS X” (just leave the {current} there and don’t change it)
bcdedit /enum active
bcdedit /set [ID] PATH \chain0 (replace [ID] with you identifier: http://janschneiders.googlepages.com/idosx.gif)


for the sake of my ass, i just do what the above said, and began booting up. it works and I've been welcomed by a really beautiful welcome screen. With lots of welcome in different language. Then, I hav to do some sort of customizing.

5. Testing and Playing around.
This step is not shown and I think most people don't need me to shown this. A lot of apps loads fast, I don't even need to wait. The animation is really fluid, pressing F9 key brings up expose, and blah blah blah...... you get the point. Even now I'm still playing around with my Mac Joybook. Lol.

Leave me a comment if this little diary of mine is used or if you want to add this to somewhere.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah...nice.. never thought about running mac on non-mac laptop before. I've heard about running mac on non-mac pc but not on laptop. Anyway, can it running as primary OS? Without vista installed in it? Anyway, using the real mac is better..HUHU

kaizeru said...

Because my lappy have a very close hardware spec to a MacBook Pro, I can run that mac using a vanilla kernel(original unpatched) so technically, I can run just mac on my laptop.
But you know, all my work and my essential software is in my vista, so I can't just ditch vista to mac although I want to do just that after I got the mac up and running.
maybe after grad and I got myself a stedy work, then I can ditch Hackintosh and buy myself a real MacBook Pro.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Powered By Blogger